Monday 6 October 2014

Spring

Now that it's October, Spring is in full swing. One day it's sunny, the birds are chirping and people are sneezing from hay fever, the next it's blowing a gale and raining then really cold overnight! I live in a semi-arid climate so temperatures and weather are changeable, to say the least. Spring is also the season to get things done before the weather gets too hot. For me that means getting back into my exercise routine, organising new meals/menus and getting outside jobs done.

Today I will be doing my weights routine then shopping for plant-strong foods for me and my family.
I have been active most of my life. When I was a child I never stopped moving (except while reading!). I was constantly dancing, swimming, riding, roller skating or playing down the park. As I got older I discovered aerobics then karate and always enjoyed stretching out the kinks. When I did an aerobics instructors course I was introduced to the gym and weights. I did a few workouts but never felt totally comfortable there. It wasn't until I met my husband that I really learned how to enjoyed weights. He has been dedicated to lifting for over thirty years now. I have done workouts sporadically over the years but only became regular about four years ago. I've followed the same routine on and off for about two years now and recently decided to get a bit more serious about it and treat it as a hobby rather than a chore. I used to exercise to ward off flab but now I want to be healthy, fit and capable. I want to be one of those Grandmas who in years to come astounds people with what they can still do. I don't want to have my body limit me and break down before my mind.  I need to invest in my body now to reap those benefits later. It's the same with diet.

Food used to be for enjoyment. Now it is fuel as well. I have learnt how to feed my body and not just my tongue. Sometimes I like to treat myself to something yummy, but now that I'm committed to being Vegan I have to learn how to make these things. Where I live being vegan is almost offensive so I can't just go to a local cafe and order a latte with almond milk or get a dairy-free slice. I've never been a big cake baker nor eater, so it will be a whole new thing learning how to make vegan desserts out of nuts etc. I have made a yummy Vegan Chocolate Cake so perhaps I will make one of those in a loaf this week and use it for snacks.

As the weather warms up it will be easier to eat more salads and fresh fruit. This week I will be preparing salad components and leaving them in the fridge for my family to use as they need. We do have one omnivore in a house of four, so I can't assume everyone will want the same things.

I need to get into the garden and do a bit of maintenance. There is a. Creeper what it trying to strangle a small tree and some day lilies I'd like to separate and replant. Weeds are a major job this time of year, so there's always that to do too, otherwise the snakes have lots of places to hide. We have a ridiculous amount of deadly snakes here, so not something I want to encourage.

Well on that cheery note, I'm off! Hope your day is full of blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will not appear immediately.
Moderation required to avoid messy spam. Thank you for your patience.