Friday 10 October 2014

Enough

How much is enough?

This is a question you have to answer for yourself. No one can tell you how much is enough for you. (As an adult).

When I was a child I owned things I didn't value anymore but there were memories attached. I also became attached to things which weren't valuable at all, but I ascribed value to them. When I was told to throw them away, or worse, when I'd gotten home from school to find my Mum had cleaned my room, I was often sad. We attach ourselves to our stuff.

Some people are able to collect and purge items throughout their lives easily. Others have to part with these things gradually over time. I find getting rid of one thing a day is an almost painless way to do this. Another way is to declutter (get rid of clutter and junk) for 15 minutes each day. Either way, if you continue and restrain yourself from buying excess, you will eventually get to your comfort level.  I started decluttering in 2001 and have moved house since then and am still finding my level of enough.

Enough doesn't only apply to possessions and stuff, it can refer to time spent working, money earned,  time spent in recreation or volunteering, space you occupy and use, or any other thing you can think of.

How much is enough for you?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will not appear immediately.
Moderation required to avoid messy spam. Thank you for your patience.